Friday, May 21, 2010

Naxos



Images: The Sunset Grill; our view of the sunset.
I gotta laugh. I just checked out the Toronto forecast, and though it's raining today, the forecast is for nothing but sunny skies and the temperature up from 26 to 30 by Tuesday! Here in Naxos it is pouring rain and about 18 degrees.
We do not let the weather get us down. Naxos is beautiful.
Last night we ate right by the sea, watching the sun go down. "Eggplant salad", which we might call baba ghanoush on warm, fresh-baked bread, accompanied with stuffed vine leaves. SL then had fried cod while I had a swordfish souvlaki, both accompanied by a tomato and cucumber salad in olive oil.
The sunset was incredible. It was as though Zeus had decreed a light show. The storm clouds allowed bolts of light to beam through as shafts of orange/purple light, and they lit up the mountains as though some director were orchestrating each scene. Fantastic! I have posted a picture, but it scarcely does the real thing justice - the rainbow of colours are not evident, but you can see how the beams come down as if from individual spotlights.
Today we pick up our tiny rental car (remember the BUS?) and head inland for the ancient Greek village of Aperanthos, described as "perhaps Naxos most beautiful town". The taverna we are intending to eat at "Taverna Lefteris" is considered one of the best in Naxos. "The menu features the staples of Greek cooking prepared in a way that shows you how good this food can be. Dishes hilight the freshest of vegetables and meats, prepared with admirable subtlety. The hearty homemade bread is delicious."
There is a music store here, so maybe I'll get a guitar and the DTs will subside......




2 comments:

  1. If you don't get guitar, you will never get a life. Hey Boob I just learned this little piece of advice that is credited to Emmy Lou Harris. It goes like this. “Talking about songwriting is like doing card tricks on the radio!” I loved it. I have this book about songwriting from some of the world's best songwriters. What I found pretty much universal when asked about how they do it, none of them can actually tell you. It just flows at times and dries up at others. So, how I came up with this, I have no idea, but I wrote a song for you and SL...

    Gonna get my rental
    and gonna drive through Greece
    I don't mind this weather
    Driving gives me peace.
    Gonna view some ruins
    Older than my town
    Gonna see some new ones
    I won't settle down
    Yasu! Yasu! Yasu! I've arrived!

    I saw David's penis
    But it's kinda small
    Florence came between us
    With the rain and all
    I traversed Amalfi
    But the drive was slow
    Now I'm here in Naxos
    And I'm on the go
    Yasu! Yasu! Yasu! I've arrived!

    Gonna taste some Greek grapes
    Gonna swill some grain
    Get some sun and seascapes
    With my Sweet Lorraine
    And when this trip is over
    On the other side
    Gonna savor memories
    With my darlin' bride
    Yasu! Yasu! Yasu! I'm alive!

    Love R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post JB!

    PJ we're loving the blog. Kind of thought you may have shut it down with the 11 day lay-over but now understand with the internet concerns.

    I feel kind of silly updating you on the Oakville life of the YG Lubert family but it seems this is the best way to communicate? So here it goes:

    Mia has started soccer and although her new coach will never compare to last year's coaches she has retained most of the skills you taught her last year. One of the nice perks to not being an assistant coach is that I can spend one-on-one time coaching Kingston and he is improving by leaps and bounds. I honestly think he'd be the 3rd best player on Mia's 5 and under team and he's only 2! Of course Mia has commented that she wishes Papa and Daddy were still her coaches this year.

    On a happy/sad note we travelled to a mature tree farm after soccer yesterday and selected a Grandma-Pal memorial tree. It is a majestic 20ft White Spruce (which are actually green) that will tower in the corner of our backyard. Our Pal-Tree will watch over the children while they play and provide protection, privacy and shelter for the family.

    Well we're off to your house for a wonderful day with "Aunt Miss". Can't wait to catch up with her and all the travel details. Love you.

    ReplyDelete