Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Day Two - La Bella Roma







Images, SL,SM and K at the Colliseum, J and SM at the Vittorio Emmanuel Monument0, K and SM at the Trevi Fountain, JR at my Casa.



Day Two – La Bella Roma

Everyone was jet lagged and tired, but the excitement of being in one of the most beautiful cities in the world stirred me from my bed at 6 am. I went down to the local bar and had a cappuccino. I do not know what the big deal with crack is...after one cappuccino, my system was jangled awake, and I was ready to take on Roma!

I went for a walk, came back, woke up everybody in the albergo (including those that are not related by blood to me) and yelled “pronto, pronto”. I am still not sure what pronto means...but it woke them up and we headed out to embrace Roma after the obligatory 87 minutes that the women I love partake of showering and dressing and make-up etc.

We were heroes. We conquered the Metro, we saw the Trevi Fountain (again), the Spanish Steps, well there were a lot of steps, and some of them might have been Spanish (or at least a Spaniard may have worked on them), we saw Vittorio Emanuelle Monument and of course the Colliseum.

Caught up in the spirit of things at the Colliseum, and feeling very Gladiatorial, I looked around for a lion to vanquish, but not finding one, stepped on a tail of a stray cat. The onlookers roared their approval, but after a valiant battle was put up by Fluffy, upon the crowd's thumb's up, I had no choice but to release the feral beast.

I then departed to Termini to rent our van for the next leg of our adventure as the ladies went to meet Italian men and lunch on fresh cured meats, vegetables, olive oil, blood oranges, garlic, rocket, pomodore, balsamic vinegar, baked bread and of course vino de la casa.

I pulled up in the van and had to insist to the 3 very disappointed Italian men that there was in fact no room for them in the van. Many hours later, through pouring rain and the most bizarre traffic jam I have ever been in (20 minutes completely at a dead stop for no apparent reason and then total return to highway speed), we arrived at Cabbiavoli.

Our co-residents at Cabbiavoli include: 3 bikers driving Harley Road Kings and Julia Roberts. I am not making this up, OK maybe she's not here this very second, but at one time she was and I'm sure she wishes she were here now with us.
"Family jewel’ by Nerida Piggin © '25 Beautiful Homes' photographed by Nathalie Krag
'...one of the first guests to stay (at the villa) since the renovation, the actress Julia Roberts, felt compelled to send for her favourite photographer in LA to come to take photos of her holidaying at the villa...'"


Tomorrow, the Mad Butcher of Panzano....

1 comment:

  1. Hey guys, its great to read about the trip and live vicariously through you. Keep the posts coming as they make us feel like we are there with you (per the original plan). Not much going on here as I just went to work this week!

    Love you, Geoff Joce Mia Kingston Quincy

    ReplyDelete