Monday, June 15, 2015

Plitvice Lakes Croatia


Plitvice Lakes Croatia

 “Is it as beautiful as Niagara Falls?”, my new-found friend from the Netherlands asked me. “It is different, “ I replied, “Just as my wife and a dramatic sunset can both be beautiful.” He nodded in understanding. “Just as a Harley Davidson and a Vespa scooter can both be beautiful.” He nodded again, a bit more slowly. “Just as a 1959 Sunburst Gibson Les Paul..., OK, sorry, the Plitvice Lakes National Park and its waterfalls are beautful and graceful, Niagara Falls is beautiful in its power and majesty.”

Plitvice Lakes National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Centre. The forests are home to a series of lakes, streams and channels which flow through the limestone and chalk to carve out a chain of some of the most beautiful waterfalls in the world.

Sweet Lorraine and I drove from Rijeka to our present B and B in Koranica. Croatia, just outside of Plitvice Lakes. The view from our balcony is stunning, and our hostess is very gracious and welcoming. (She is currently drying our laundry!) Today we rose early and made the 15 minute drive to Plitvice Lakes)

Last night we walked to town and had roast pork, which the area is famous for – barbequing a whole pig over a spit from the wee hours of the morning till it is served up on your plate. For some reason, I was stricken by a nasty case of Montezuma's Revenge, which seems a bit unfair as I was Montezuma's guest for 3 months and steered clear of any offence that might incur his wrath or revenge. To be clear, I caught the bug BEFORE eating the roast pig.

 All is well now, Craotian beer can do wonders to set your stomach straight.

 I have included several pictures of the waterfalls, but Ansel Adams I ain't and I didn't want to take credit for something I didn't do, so if you want to see some stunning pics, go to the following website where Jack Brauer has taken a break from filming the next series of 24, to post some truly incredible work.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2035482/The-beautifuls-waterfalls-world-Photographs-capture-Croatias-Plitvice-Lakes.html

Sweet Lorraine and I enjoying the view in Rovinj
The View from our B and B House Mara
The "BIG" waterfall in Plitvice

Look carefully, those are all little waterfalls!

The water cascades into crystalline lakes.

Notice the stylish look I am sporting - our tickets were in that sweater,
Lorraine is supposed to look after the tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment