Wednesday, January 23, 2013

La Musica!

Playing Bass with Vertigo 777
Sharing a Dance During My "Break"
Play That Funky Music White Boy!
With David at La Choza
Margaritaville Was a Huge Hit!!

Our New Year's celebrations at El Cid were wonderful- it is not often we get a chance to catch up with the family for several days in a row. El Cid is an all-inclusive, and while I would recommend this arrangement for anyone trying to plan a large family vacation, it was sorely lacking in music. I went vainly in search of some live music each night, only to be disappointed.
On one of our first nights in PM, we came across a really good band at the Habanero, and I began talking to the guitar player at the break. He then asked me if I would like to sit in, and, reluctant to take the only guitar spot in the band, I said I would be happy to play bass, but the bass player was left handed. He responded “No! He is left-handed, but the bass is a right-handed bass he plays upside down!
So I played “Roadhouse Blues”, on the bass, and took a few liberties with the bass line and Antonio, the guitar player, who is really good, went along with me and we jammed on the song for about 5 or 6 minutes. The crowd loved it, and the bass player just laughed and said he was going for a beer, and I should keep on playing.
Check out “Salvame” by Vertigo 777 and you will hear how good these guys are.
 The next night I played with a different band at the same bar. There were two guitar players in this band, one of whom was the lead singer, who played more of a rhythm role, so I didn't mind taking up a guitar spot. Again, I didn't want to overstay my welcome, but the band kept asking me to come back up, even in the middle of a song. They were performing "Play That Funky Music White Boy", and the singer was just holding his guitar – it's interesting R and B groove that he obviously wasn't comfortable with. He looked at me, held out his guitar, pointed to it, then at me, so I took over, and then stayed on for a few more songs.
The next night I was invited to play with David Rodriguez at another restaurant "La Chaza Chaman", where he was doing a singles act. The owner and crowd really enjoyed it and asked me to return. I have now played there three times, and have been invited to play on Thursday at "La Festiva Musica", a three day music event.
I am enjoying the notoriety of being "the guitar player", as I am being referred to when we go out at night, and I know that I will miss the open friendliness of my new Mexican musical friends.

1 comment:

  1. -20c today (feels like -34c with the wind chill factor) ... at what temperature does Tequila freeze?

    Hope you are remembering to put on your sunscreen before going out ...

    Cheers
    W

    ReplyDelete