Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Sleep With the Fishes

Fish Foot Spa!!!
Thermal Spa
Sometimes you 're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.
For some reason I have been eating fish almost every night here on Lesvos.  SL (Sweet Lorraine) will tell you that at home I cannot be accused of depleting the population of any marine life, nor am I eager to embrace the taste of new vegetables, but here, SL keeps saying “Try this you'll like it.”, and funnily enough, I do – even beet salad!
But back to my point, turnabout is fair play, I've been eating fish, so they got to eat me!
I went to a “Fish Spa” where the fish give you a pedicure....
During a treatment you place your feet in a tank of warm freshwater containing dozens of toothless Garra rufa fish, which are about the size of minnows. They are also known as doctor or nibble fish. They suck and gently nibble away at dry and dead skin. The end result is said to leave your feet feeling refreshed and healthy. To me it felt like mild electric shocks as they nibbled away.  I was a little concerned when I saw one of the bigger fish with what looked like a packet of ketchup approaching my big toe.
The next day we went to the thermal spas at Eftalou.  Spas are recommended for rheumatism, arthritis, sciatica, neuralgia, skin diseases, kidney and gall stones and gynecological complaints.  Unless my good Doctor Swanson has missed something, I do not have any of the latter, but the experience was certainly relaxing. You first shower in very cold water, then ease yourself into the VERY VERY hot waters.  You put your feet in first, then slowly ease the rest of your body in.  After about 3 minutes, you have to get out, and go swim in the sea or shower, then repeat.
We then ate a Greek salad and shared a beer at a taverna overlooking the sea.
Each night here in Molivos has been wonderful – fish for dinner, then music!
Next – John plays with the Bouzouki players.




3 comments:

  1. You only have to worry if the fish come after you with malt vinegar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!!!
      Can't wait o meet you in Sifnos!!
      Love You!

      Delete
  2. And I thought MY pedicures were an adventure!!

    ReplyDelete