Sunday, June 26, 2011







Images: In the Tuscan Countryside; The Abbey; Ancient Winecart

Today we drove to Montalcino. The map says that it is 40 km away. Tuscan maps should measure distance in the number of switchbacks you must navigate.
I love driving, and I love the hills and scenery, but the strada between Santa Fiora and Montalcino has more twists and turns than a Dan Brown novel.
When we arrived in Montalcino, I was struck by an overwhelming dizzyness and nausea, and literally could not walk. I lay down on a bench in a park with a breathtaking view of the country below. After about ten minutes, we moved on to explore Montalcino, and I got progressively better.
Montalcino is a beautiful town, but it definitely knows where its bread gets buttered. Enotecas abounded, with slick souvenir shoppes and fancy restaurants.
We sat down to have a piccollo pranza - a light lunch, one shared appetizer and one glass of wine for SL – and came away 40 Euros lighter. This may not seem expensive by North American standards, but we have become used to having a whole dinner for 35 Euros.
We broke down, visited the enotecas, and ended up buying a 2004 Brunello di Montalcino, which we are saving for our fast-approaching last night. How I wished I had my music partner - J. B. Harrison, with us to advise on the purchase. I am not sure I know anyone more knowledgeable about wine than JB. We would have liked to buy a case or two to send back...
On the way back we stopped at a tenth century abbey which had afforded comfort and protection to pilgrims, and earned the gratitude and respect of generations. It is a humbling experience to stand in an edifice that has survived for over a thousand years. The acoustics were incredible. My accapella rendition Billy Idol's “White Wedding” was a huge hit with the monks, and probably still has them talking.
Driving the road to Santa Fiora, we passed an ancient discarded wine cart, laden with flagons once filled with Montalcino wines. History, scenery, vintages – Montalcino!

No comments:

Post a Comment